The Geographe Outrigger Juniors traveled to Bunbury on February 5 for the inaugural Mini Monkey Relay.
Eighty-five juniors aged nine to 19 from Busselton, Bunbury, Rockingham, Yunderup and Fremantle all took part in this fun paddling event.
The day began with mini-marathon races in the single-seater Va’a canoe.
Results for Geographe stabilizers:
- Euwan Triffitt 1st place in the 2km Boys 12U V1 race.
- Ben Galway 1st place and Darcy Riley 3rd place in the Boys 14U V1 2km race.
- Lucas Ransley 2nd place in the Boys 16U V1 4k race.
- Kara Haynes 1st place and Lillia Triffitt 2nd place in the Girls 16U V1 4k race.
- Ben Ransley 1st place in the Boys 19U V1 4kms race.
The relay followed with dedicated laps for each age category.
New friendships were made as clubs combined to create teams.
Each team completed laps of 2km each with quick seat changes in the shallows.
With a focus on participation and development, all juniors had an amazing day with lots of paddling, smiles and spills.
Geographe Outriggers is hosting the next junior event, the Great Adventure Race, here in Busselton on Saturday February 19th.
Keep an eye out for capsizing canoes, jetty jumpers and swimmers inside the box jetty, all part of this amazing race.
Good luck to our senior paddlers this Saturday February 12th as they take part in the Seniors Monkey 20km relay held in Bunbury.