Tens of thousands of runners will travel to Portsmouth to take part in the Great South Run this year.
The popular 10 mile race and other events will take place on the south coast over the coming weekend. Both elite runners and amateurs will criss-cross the city’s roads in order to complete the course as soon as possible.
This is the 32nd time the Great South Run has taken place. Since its inception in 1990, the event has become one of the most popular races of its kind in Europe.
If you’re heading to Portsmouth to take part in the race or to support someone who is taking part, here’s everything you need to know:
What is the route of the Great South Run in 2022?
The ten mile race has been held in Portsmouth since 1991 and the course will be familiar to anyone who has competed in the event before. The Great Run company has announced the route for the 10-mile race in 2022.
The Great South Run will start again along the Southsea seafront. It will end near Southsea Castle, as it has for many years.
Runners will pass many of Portsmouth’s iconic sites during the 10-mile course. Including Clarence Pier, Portsmouth Harbour, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Portsmouth City Centre, Canoe Lake, Eastney Esplanade.
When is the Great South Run?
The Great South Run will take place between Saturday (October 15) and Sunday (October 16). Events will take place over the two days, including junior and mini races as well as the main event.
The flagship event, the 10-mile Great South Run, will take place on October 16. Elite runners as well as amateurs will take part in the road race on the south coast.
If you participate in the 5 km race or the junior and mini race, they will take place on October 15th. The 5k race is scheduled for Saturday morning and the youth event is due to start in the afternoon.
Where does the Great South Run begin?
The 10 mile Great South Run will start near Southsea Castle, there is an area to congregate to warm up and stretch before starting the run.
What time does the Great South Run start?
The race is split into different waves, with riders assigned a group based on how long they expect to take to complete the course. The waves are: orange, green and pink, as well as the elite groups.
Start times for the 10-mile Great South Run on October 16 have been announced for 2022:
- 7:00 a.m. – Information point, toilets, open car park
- 7:30 a.m. – luggage opening
- 10:15 a.m. – Women’s Elite Start
- 10:19 am – Start of the wave of “fast” self-propelled wheelchairs and visually impaired runners
- 10:35 am – Men Elite, fast runners and start of the orange wave
- 10:56 a.m. – start of the green wave
- 11:17 a.m. – start of the pink wave
The schedule of events for October 15 has also been announced and is as follows:
- 8:00 a.m. – opening of the event site and information point
- 8:30 a.m. – luggage opening
- 9:50 a.m. – 5km Grand Sud warm-up
- 10 a.m. – Departure 5km Great South
- 12pm – Great South Mini Run wave 1 (green) begins
- 12:30pm – Great South Mini Run wave 2 (pink) begins
- 12:58 p.m. – Departure of the Grand Sud Junior and Mini wheelchairs (white wave)
- 1pm – Start of the Great South Junior Run (girls 9-11 blue)
- 1pm – Start of the Great South Junior Run (girls 12-15 red)
- 1:45 p.m. – Great South Junior Run start (boys 9-11 blue)
- 1:45 – 1:00 p.m. – Great South Junior Run start (boys 12-15 red)
- 3:00 p.m. – closing of the event site